Tonight we are trying something new. It’s been inspired by Tasty but as it’s still winter and I’m a novice I’ve adapted it for easy. With my fibro I struggle to stand and cook a lot of the time so I usually need something that I can just mix, cook and eat.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
200g Diced Beef
2 Bell Peppers
1 Red Onion
250g Golden Rice
1 Packet Fajita Mix (35g)
Approximate cost: £7.88
Cost per person: £2.63
This was based on tesco and not the cheapest stuff to buy so I know you could reduce this down even further.
- Preheat oven to 200C (fan), 220C or gas mark 6-7.
- Chop the halloumi, peppers, and onion in to good sized chunks.
- Throw them all in the bowl with the diced beef and mix in the fajita mix until coated well.
- Push them all on to the skewers until you can fit any more on.
- Put them into the oven for 10 minutes.
- Turn them and leave for another 5 minutes. You can always leave them in longer depending on how well you like the steak cooked.
- Take out and push the food off the skewers on to plates.
- Eat and enjoy!
If you like your steak fairly rare I would suggest putting the veggies and cheese together and the steak on separate skewers. That way you can put the veggies in and when they are nearly done you can add the steak skewers later.
As there are only two of us I ended up with left overs which I’ll take for work tomorrow. I’m really sure you can make this cheaper too. I use tesco (for home delivery because I can’t get to the shop) but if you shop at Aldi or Lidl you can probably make this cheaper.
I paired this with a small salad and ranch dressing. If you wanted a vegetarian version then you could remove the steak and add more veggies like baby corn, aubergine, mushrooms.
Let me know if you try this and how you get on!