Tonight, in the Kindon household, we have home made mac and cheese. This an old Philadelphia recipe that I’ve changed.
Cook time: 25 mins
Prep time: 10 mins
200ml Semi Skimmed Milk
325g Tinned Sweetcorn (drained)
200g Bacon Lardons (You can use normal bacon and cut it up. Smoked or unsmoked is fine).
200g Medium Cheddar (grated)
150g Red Leicester (grated)
Salt and Pepper to season
Approximate cost: £6.38
Cost per portion: £1.07
I also sprinkled the top with crispy bacon and onion bits but these are optional.
- Preheat oven to 170C (Fan), 190C or gas mark 5.
- Boil you pasta in well-seasoned water.
- Cook off the bacon lardons.
- While the pasta and bacon are cooking mix together the following
- 200mg milk
- 120g Philli. This should melt into the milk.
- 150g cheddar
- 100 red Leicester
- Drain pasta when cooked and mix with the sweetcorn, bacon and milk/cheese mixture. Make sure it’s mixed well.
- Pour pasta and mix into an oven proof tray and sprinkle with cheese.
- Cook for 15 mins or until golden.
- Optional: sprinkle with crispy bacon and onion bits
This is great for lunches, dinners, groups and budget. All of these can be purchased on the budget, even cheaper than the one listed above.
You can swap and add extra or different veggies, like onion, peppers, garlic. You could even try with mushrooms but I would cook these off first. Another option is add paprika to the milk/cheese mix if you like a little spice.
Of course if you wanted to make it vegetarian you can forgo the bacon. I’d recommend coupling it with a small side salad if budget and/or time allows.
Let me know if you try this and how you get on!